You currently need a phone number to sign up for Telegram. Add an option to sign up using an email address or another method, like some messengers do (e.g., Wire, Matrix, Threema, Session).
Potential spam issues could be mitigated by:
Avoiding an identifier tied to your identity, hiding identity from governments or people who know your number.
Use a virtual phone number.
Warning: Do NOT use temporary numbers to connect to your account, as you may lose access to your account when you lose access to the number.
Log in here to report bugs or suggest features. Please enter your phone number in the international format and we will send a confirmation message to your account via Telegram.
We've just sent you a message.
Please confirm access via Telegram
In my country you legally need to verify you identity, but that doesen't stop you from buying a pre verified SIM. People sell them, even in bulk.
Given you found a way to purchase it anonymously.
Accounts without a linked phone number:
- are limited from accessing the private of any contact being restricted
- 6 months without being able to go to the private of non-contacts
- are limited from creating public usernames
- are more limited to join many groups per day, week or month.
Email accounts with a linked phone number:
- Free access as it currently is.
- Removing the phone number, loses the free requirements, running the remaining restriction time.
- Accounts created with email only and without a linked phone number would automatically be deleted within 1 month of inactivity.
1. They wouldn't be allowed to write a pm to anyone without getting a
message from them first, or being personally invited by a mod in a
They also wouldn't be able to write a post outside of a private group.
2. And they have to get their writing permissions taken away if one
member in one group marks one of their posts as spam. - Until a mod
gives back the writing permissions.
3. Furthermore, you would need good captchas.
One phone number can be reused multiple times, by different people and it is not a reliable authentication method.